Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Morning on WDAS

Jerry Mondesire, President of the Philadelphia Chapter of the NAACP and host of a Sunday morning talk show on WDAS, wanted to interview Mr. Horwits and a student from the twenty-six who are attending the inauguration trip from Central. Mr. Horwits made the offer to me and I accepted of course. Talking about this experience with the media is amazing, so of course, I would do it. I woke up around 7 and tried call the radio station. Initially, I couldn't get through with the number that Horwits provided me, so I decided to turn on my clock radio and listen to Horwits' interview. Around 7:30 or so, Mr. Mondesire and Mr. Horwits started to talk about the trip to D.C. Mr. Mondesire asked Mr. Horwits a variety of questions about different aspects of the trip. Horwits did a wonderful job in my opinion especially since it was early on Sunday morning. So after Horwits' interview, Mr. Mondesire indicated on the radio that he was looking out for me to give him a call so that he could speak about the trip.

After that indication, Horwits called me and gave me two numbers to call to reach Mr. Mondesire. I turned down my radio when Mr. Mondesire picked up the phone and began my interview. It was a live interview so I tried to pace myself; normally I talk REALLY fast. So Mr. Mondesire welcomed me to the show and he asked me how I knew the teachers in "The Law Firm" (nickname given to the trio of teachers that planned the trip). He then asked me how I was feeling about the upcoming trip. I told him that there weren't any words to describe the feeling that I have. It was all just overwhelming. We then talked about each part of the selection process. I explained how 49% of the politicians who took the test that we were required to take during the process actually did NOT pass the test. Mr. Mondesire explained how he probably would not have been able to pass either.

Mr. Mondesire then asked me about the essay topics that we had to answer. I told him three out of the four topics that we were required to elaborate on. I was kind of embarrassed that I wasn't able to remember the fourth question, but at the same time, I knew he understood it was really early and that I was answering on my toes. We then talked about the interview and I explained that the teachers were trying to pick well-rounded, able-to-think-on-their-toes students.

We discussed some other things about what I would bring back to share and so forth and Mr. Mondesire indicated that I would be the spokesperson for the group going to D.C. and that he would track me down to hear from me on the following Sunday about my experiences this upcoming week. My dad and mom listened out for me on the radio and were excited to hear me live. I myself was going insane just off of the fact that I knew I was live! I really cannot wait to report back to him next Sunday with a follow up!

-Camillia McKay (268)

No comments:

Post a Comment