Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Power of Words

After the inauguration I spent a lot of time thinking about words and their meanings. Every sentence can be interpreted in a plethora of ways, and they can evoke different emotions based on their interpretations. When Barack Obama delivered his speech on Election Day, I cried. His tone of voice had so much power and confidence behind it. Obama spoke of change, possibility, and the unity between us all that left me feeling hopeful. When I was given the opportunity to go to the inauguration I was ecstatic. I wrote my essay, and was interviewed by my teachers always choosing my words carefully. You never know how important the words you speak are until someone tells you they remember.

Before we even got on the bus to DC we had words joining us together. Many of us were quoted in the Philadelphia Daily News and on their website. On the website people left comments, many of them hurtful. The same power behind words of inspiration dwells within insults and criticism. We were called elitists, stupid, naive, and undeserving. Out of 30 comments, there were only a handful of positive ones. Yes, the negative comments hurt, but the positive affirmations rose above the put-downs. The 25 of us are able to joke about the comments and connect them as part of the trip. After spending hours outside the inauguration I became much closer with the people I was around. We now have a common story that we can tell to our friends and families. I talk a lot without always thinking about how someone will interpret what I say. After meeting new people, talking with senators, representatives, and astronauts, I think I will choose every word wisely and see how my words and actions carry me in life. Clearly making the right choices has worked out for Barack Obama.

-Asha Davis (268)

No comments:

Post a Comment