Sunday, January 18, 2009

"All Things Considered"

This entire experience has been such an exciting one for myself. When the media started to get involved with our trip, it made everything even more thrilling. The entire group going on the trip went to WHYY on Friday and we discussed everything about the inauguration trip, from the process to the itinerary. I must say, I really enjoyed talking on the radio. David Heller, our interviewer, was such a wonderful person to interact with. He kept the entire group on their toes. He arranged for a variety of students present to answer some of the questions he asked. I answered a couple of questions. The first one I believe was about the inaugural ball. I was so excited about explaining the ball because that is the best part of the trip in my opinion. The other question was in reference to any family member that we may have that might never have believed they'd ever see a black president in office. I basically talked about the reactions my family in North Carolina and my father. It felt so good to talk about everything. My peers answered questions as well.

Sitting there and actually participating in the radio broadcast was overwhelming. For me, it was like walking into a mansion that is en route to my way to school. I always see this mansion and wonder what is on the inside. I study every aspect of the house and imagine what it would be like to actually live inside the house for a day. When I go inside, everything is so amazing that I can't find the words to describe the experience. Visiting WHYY was like walking into the mansion I pass by on my way to school every day. I participated in an actual radio broadcast. Just seeing the "On the Air" sign light up in red made me realize that I am actually going to be on the radio. Since that was the first time being on the radio, I was so excited to hear how I did, but never got a chance to. Overall, talking on "All Things Considered" on NPR was one of the best experiences I think I have ever had.

-Camillia McKay (268)

No comments:

Post a Comment