Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"I could feel democracy in my veins"

Two teas, one coffee, two Red Bulls, three bottles of ruby red grapefruit juice, and four bottles of water. I could say that all sums up my experience on January 20th, 2009, but it doesn't. Sometimes I find myself speechless when trying to describe this unforgettable moment in my life, but for blogging purposes I'll try my best.

I thought when I received the e-mail of acceptance that I was on top of the world. I wanted no other Christmas present then to be included in the group of 26 students going down to Washington, D.C. for the Inauguration of the 44th President of the United States. When I heard President Obama speak the words "So help me God," it was a whole other high. I could feel democracy in my veins. I finally understood what our founding fathers meant by diplomacy, liberty, and equality.

Some people said the America wasn't ready. "Just give it another 100 years or so," some critics remarked. I guess that's why it meant so much to me to attend that ceremony. To actually see a chapter of history close and watch the sun rise upon a new era was the most remarkable experience. For me, I had to see it to believe it. I saw America shut its doors to racism and prejudice and welcome true opportunity and hope.

We have come far but we still have a long way to go. It is truly an accomplishment to see an African American male and a woman be in two of the most powerful positions in the world. But there is more to be accomplished. I pray to God I am alive to see a time when people like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are not categorized by their race or gender but by the hard working, genuine, public servants they are.

-Brianna Weeks (268)

No comments:

Post a Comment